Coyote Danger - Protect your Pets From Coyote Attacks Now.
Coyote Danger for pets is a very real danger that many pet owners do not think about until it is too late. With the increasing amount of stories about dogs being attacked by coyotes these days, it is important to understand how to protect your pet. Continued land development has forced coyotes forced into urban areas and are becoming less fearful of humans. Many people to not even know if there are coyotes in their area.
According to the ASPCA, people can live a midst coyotes yet never see them. Coyotes are living and flourishing in almost every city across the United States. They are a threat to domestic dogs, especially smaller breeds like Dachshunds and toy varieties.
Trying to eliminate coyotes isn't the answer. We must learn what attracts them to our homes in the first place, and then use methods to solve the source of the problem and end the coyote danger.
When walking your dog, it is important to be prepared. follow link Rattlesnakes are a coyotes natural enemy and their instinct is to get out of the area when they hear the rattle of the rattlesnake. Carrying a follow site stun gun while on walks can protect both you and your pet. Many times the coyotes will run just from the sound of the stun gun since the sound is similar to that of the rattlesnake. Another option is to make a where to buy orlistat wholesale Coyote Shaker (link at bottom of page) but I would be worried what would happen if it did not scare the Coyote - with the stun-gun you have another option if the sound alone is not enough to chase the coyote away.
The Guard Dog Stealth is a sleek flashlight with stunning capabilities. Equipped with patented technology, the probes lie within the outer layer of the flashlight, never seen unless the user desires. The 110 lumen flashlight serves more than efficient as an everyday practical flashlight. The beam shines dozens of yards away while acting as a blinding agent to potential assailants. With the swift movement of the safety-switch, the Stealth turns into a powerful self defense device, capable of protecting yourself and those you love. The Stealth is surrounded from top to bottom with an attractive rubbished armor and serves ideal for everyday use and for unexpected circumstances. No visible probes. Click for product details on Amazon.
Here are some tips on keeping your pet safe from coyotes:
1. Know when Coyotes are most active. Coyotes usually come out to eat at dusk. Mating season is January through March. During this time be particularly cautious. Coyotes travel long distances to find mates and are looking for extra calories for the journey. Pregnant females need to stock up on additional meals. Studies show that coyotes are particularly aggressive during this time.
2. Do not leave your pets alone in the yard during active time. Keep an eye on your dog when outside. A little Doxy in a backyard is an easy target for a coyote. The best way to protect your dog is to go outside with it when you let it out since they tend to shy away from humans. If you do come into contact with a coyote, it has been recommended that you wave your arms, shout, and do anything you can to scare it away, for example spray it with a hose.
3. Do not think that your fence will keep out a hungry coyote. Even so called coyote-proof fences have been known to fail to keep out coyotes. A coyote can run at a speed of up to 40 mph and can jump a distance of over 13 feet. They have been known to jump a 6 foot fence without even touching it. They also have the ability to dig under a fence or slide through a gap. Above is a video of Coyotes Jumping fences - be warned in one video the coyote has killed a pet cat and is leaving the backyard with it.
5. Do not let your dog roam. Always keep your dog on a leash when walking it outside. Free roaming pets will attract a wandering coyote. To ensure your pets safety keep your dog on a short leash when walking, especially during times coyotes tend to be active.
The following items may help repel or deter coyotes away from your yard. Links are provided from Amazon but most are widely available at your local home store. Some items are squirted through squirt bottles or placed on rags and placed in the area(s) you want the animal(s) repelled from. Others are just placed out periodically if coyotes begin to frequent an area. Radios, strobe lights, sirens or odor deterrents may help deter the presence of coyotes:
- The Predator Guard introduces a pair of flashing lights that an animal assumes is a set of eyes. This disrupts their sense of safety and makes them immediately flee your property. Deployed around the world, it is solar powered, automatic and maintenance-free.
- Ammonia-soaked rags or apply to an area with a squirt bottle. Must be re-applied over time/after rain.
- Orbit Yard Enforcer detector sprinkler system that shoots a three second blast of water when motion is sensed..
- Coyote Repellent Grenade is a scent grenade that will effectively scare even the most aggressive Coyotes from your general area. Designed with the latest in scientific technologies. The Rut Grenade Coyotes Predator Deterrent systems has the potential to foil would be misfortunes brought on by Coyotes.
- Havahart Critter Ridder- to help reduce damage caused by chewing or gnawing animals, rodents and birds.
- Other odor deterrents (such as cayenne pepper or vinegar in water guns or balloons, etc). Must be re-applied over time/after rain.
A study conducted by a the Cook County, Illinois Coyote Project found that 60% of recent attacks were on smaller breeds such as Dachshunds, Yorkshire terriers, and Jack Russells.
While small breeds are the favored targets, coyotes have also been known to attack larger breeds especially if traveling in a pack. Read this news story about a 75 pound dog killed by coyotes.
Scare or haze coyotes out of your yard or away from you if they approach too closely. Hazing efforts will be less effective on coyotes if attractants are not removed from your yard. Share this information with neighbors, friends and your homeowner’s association since hazing efforts are most effective when the entire neighborhood is working together. If you are removing attractants and hazing coyotes from your property, but your neighbor is attracting coyotes, your efforts will be futile. The below items are most effective if multiple and various techniques are employed:
If you are approached by a coyote, do not run or turn your back on it. Be as big and loud as possible.
Wave arms and yell in an authoritative voice.
Add outward extensions to the top of the fence
Turn on sprinklers or spray coyotes with a garden hose.
Spray coyotes with a water gun filled with water or vinegar.
Throw rocks, sticks, tennis balls or anything else you can find.
Bang pots and pans together.
Sling a rock using a slingshot.
Turn on flood lights.
Shake or throw a Coyote Shaker, which is a soda can filled with pennies or pebbles and sealed with duct tape. Click Here for detailed instructions.
Make noise with an air horn, whistle, starter pistol or other noise maker.
Keep your pets safe from coyote danger by taking the above precautions to avoid coming into contact with coyotes and other wildlife.